Record flooding after derecho in Indiana: at least seven people killed, hundreds evacuated

2

Storms and flooding killed at least seven people in Indiana last week. In total, more than 350 people were evacuated from flooded areas during rescue operations. On Sunday, water levels in the White River began to decline after a morning peak, and authorities are now focusing on restoration efforts and damage assessment, the Associated Press reports.

Parts of central Indiana received more than 11 inches of rain in just a few days, according to the National Weather Service. The floods followed a devastating derecho, a widespread and long-lasting storm associated with a line of fast-moving showers or thunderstorms. Its damage is comparable to a tornado and usually occurs in one direction in a relatively straight line.

Heavy rains caused the water level in the White River to rise sharply. In the Anderson and Noblesville areas it approached 25 feet (about 7.6 meters), surpassing the previous record of 23.6 feet (about 7.2 meters) set in March 1913.

Due to the threat of flooding, authorities evacuated hundreds of residents, primarily from areas along the river. Indiana Governor Mike Brown declared a state of emergency to attract additional resources to eliminate the consequences of the disaster. On Saturday, US President Donald Trump approved the governor's request for federal assistance.

The flood caused serious damage to infrastructure. Hamilton County officials said hundreds of buildings and other structures were damaged by the water. The flood, in particular, destroyed one of the bridges in the city of Carmel. Since it is under the jurisdiction of the county, its restoration will be handled by local authorities. Officials warn the work will be costly and could take months.

Read also:  “I thought I was going to die”: Venezuelans talk about how they survived the strongest earthquake in a century

The weather-related incidents killed at least seven people – a 4-year-old boy, three men and three women, according to the Indiana State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC).

Among the dead was 19-year-old Matthew Morey, whose body was discovered on Saturday. A young man and friends jumped from a bridge into the rushing waters of the Mississinewa River on Wednesday, Delaware County authorities said. Rescuers almost immediately managed to find three people, but they could not find Mori after the jump. In the days that followed, rescuers and emergency personnel from across the state participated in the search for the missing man. They used boats, drones, aircraft and canine teams, and explored the riverbanks on foot.

In the same county, the sheriff's office confirmed the death of 58-year-old Stephanie Salley and her dog. Their bodies were found Friday in a corn field near the woman's car. Investigators believe Sally was driving along a flooded road when her car was caught in a flood of water.

On Tuesday, in the southeastern town of Geneva, police found a four-year-old boy dead, locked in a bedroom where a tree had fallen. He died on the spot, and three other people were able to get out of the house.

One of the last dead people found was a 31-year-old cyclist. His body was spotted early Sunday morning in a sinkhole along a washed-out road in Henry County, east of Indianapolis.

Two more people died in La Porte County and one woman died in Porter County.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here